All my life I have been living with the
idea that I wanted to visit Monaco, so when the ship docked in Cannes I was a
little disappointed. Not to be deterred
however we booked a day trip to Monaco to see all the usual sights.
We arrived in Monaco after driving along
the very high and winding roads featured in so many classic car chases in the
area. The actual turn to begin our
decent into Monaco was one of the most breath taking I have experienced. Our coach was perched across the road, making
a sharp right hand turn, with the front overlooking the bay many hundred metres
below.

Into the Grand Casino where we had a tour of the ornate gaming rooms and I managed to imagine myself there in a tuxedo, winning of course and sipping martini’s ‘shaken not stirred’.
We then made our way to the Palace where
we saw what it was like to live as a royal in the principality of Monaco. We also visited the principalities’ church
where all the royals celebrate their major occasions, and are entombed.
I have to say the police around the
palace area were way over the top. I
personally observed them forcibly stop one tourist from getting into a taxi
after he had loaded his luggage into the cars boot. This was followed by them ‘moving on’ two
women tourists, both with walking sticks, who had stopped to sit in the shade
for a moment. I think if this happened
in Victoria there would be a string of complaint files following.
Not to be deterred we enjoyed a
magnificent traditional 3 course lunch, with drinks, at one of the
principalities outdoor cafés before returning to the ship.
Having driven through Cannes I have to
say it looks like a wonderful place to visit and I have no doubt that were we
to find ourselves in this area again we would have a look at this area. No doubt though if we are, the ship will dock
in Monaco….




No comments:
Post a Comment